Friday, April 22, 2016

Prom Intensifies

I know everyone's talking about prom, but whatever. It's my first prom. I'm allowed to be cliché. I've made at least three shopping trips, had a three-hour appointment to get my hair dyed, and made arrangements to pick up friends and maybe even have a nice dinner before we arrive. It's going to be two hours of exhilerating fun- I haven't been to a dance since middle school, after all, and who knows what you're actually supposed to do when you go to those things? Does anyone actually dance? I sure don't know. I'll probably spend a lot of time standing around holding a cup of ambiguously flavored punch, but at least there'll be people I know and like to talk to, likely just as awkward as me.

But I'm not going to my school prom.

I'm going to the LGBT+ prom that Time Out Youth organizes every year, this year housed at the Van Landingham Estate. I feel infinitely more comfortable going there, as it has a much less strict dress code, allowing me to wear something that's not a ridiculously expensive dress, and as an added perk tickets are over fourteen times less costly than the school's prom tickets at $5 ($10 at the door). There's going to be food, friends, and as many flamboyantly dressed people as I can handle. 

I'd say it's going to be a good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment