Friday, January 8, 2016

Passion in Motion

On the DigCit field trip yesterday, I learned a few things. I learned a lot about what all the organizations we visited did- especially the Rotary Club and the Ada Jenkins center- and got a new investment into local charity. I especially connected with the Ada Jenkins center, since I have family that runs a very similar center in Brazil, where underpriveliged people can get the medical care they need but probably wouldn't be able to get otherwise. I also loved going to the Cornelius Animal Shelter and getting to play with their animals. There's a story my dad likes to tell about how we got our pets from the Charlotte Humane Society, and it's mostly my fault, though the dog is his. My family has also volunteered at and donated to the Angels and Sparrows soup kitchen before, so it was good to be there and see how it's changed. 

On top of all those specific things, though, I saw just how interconnected all the work that those organizations do is. They have a lot of workers in common, and often they serve overlapping communities. It seems to me that some people just have an inclination for service work, and they give back to the community however they can, even among vastly different organizations. 

I'm sure when I grow up that I'll give back to the community as much as I can. That's a habit ingrained in me by my parents and my school, and they've both allowed me to develop my own individual passions while setting a baseline for the quality of work that needs to be committed to.

That 'service learning' is a valuable skill and part of one's personality, at least according to me. I'm glad that LNC is implementing it as something they can do, but I think that students could be doing more, if they all could have the same opportunities as I've had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment