Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Beginner's Guide

I just finished watching a Let's Play of a game that has had a profound impact on me. It's called The Beginner's Guide, and I see a lot of myself in it. I think that a lot of people could see themselves in it, but it really spoke to a lot of places in me that are dark and terrible and not nice to look at, but it spoke about them and to them and I think that anyone, anyone at all, who watched it would be moved.

So, please, sit down for the two hours that it is and watch. Let yourself watch, be engrossed in the story, allow yourself to feel what the narrator and the subject are feeling. And if you can't, that's fine. I don't think that we are meant to feel everything that someone else feels, because if we did, then I think we wouldn't be ourselves. And it's important to be ourselves.

This isn't really relevant to the project. This isn't really relevant to anything but the humanity in me, and that moves me to want or to need, even, to share it.

http://youtu.be/OPP9pdApRQE

I don't really care if you don't like the man who plays it. Perhaps you want to play it for yourself. But I think that watching allows you a connection, and that is so, so valuable, especially in the context of the game.

Do, or don't. But I think that this is important. To help, at least, with understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment